Daily Updates Revision

Any game related discussion can take place here. Examples: Discuss about how bad the merchant rates have been lately, how rich you have became by following this specific strategy which now needs to stop etc etc

Re: Daily Updates Revision

Postby Haron » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:07 pm

I think something needs to be done, at least.

Personally, I would prefer the server midnight to be changed by one hour (or two hours) once every month. I also think the option of having updates happen every 23 hours or 25 hours is fine.

I hope everyone realizes that there is a considerable advantage to living in a timezone where one is able to be around at server midnight, though, and a similar disadvantage for those who are not. There are many strategies which only works if one is around at server midnight. And there are things which is harder to defend against if one is not around at server midnight. Changing the time of server midnight on a regular basis will ensure that everyone gets an equal share of the advantages and disadvantages. Today, it's the same people who always gets the advantages, and the same people who always gets the disadvantages.
The T'zak Ryn offers Naval Combat Solutions for the Quality Conscious Customer
Haron
Forum Rambler

Postby Shadowood » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:29 pm

EQUAL TIME FOR ALL!!!!

I will "peacefully protest" until we have equality (of time) in Avonmora!!!

I don't fear death. I look forward to it with great anticipation. For then I will met God face to face and let him know that I stole his Man of War!!!
Shadowood
Fantasy Draft Deity

Postby Haron » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:01 am

Still marching for Equality of Time.
Haron
Forum Rambler

Postby Psychodad » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:52 pm

My concern is the coding difficulties involved in changing the timekeeper. I would imagine the difficulties associated with all the subroutines tied to the clock would be numerous.

The one area I have seen discussed is the nation payouts, stipends (where large sums are deposited at a set time) could be countered with allowing for direct deposit into a bank account. This would first try to deposit as directed and if account is maxed then the funds are defauted to on hand. This compells the player receiving to organize his accounts so that there is room or returning to having a fat purse available for theifing.

As to multiple tax/upkeep in a 24hr period, divide the daily by the number of upkeep periods. This could be interesting for those playing the strategy in that in the course of a day, funds are subtracted, giving everyone a shot at the vicitim.

Alternatively, just leave it alone and quit whining.
Psychodad

Postby Haron » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:54 pm

There are a LOT of advantages to being online at server midnight. One is related to stipends. True, that specific one can be removed by paying stipends directly to banks, which changes a few strategies for sure, but does make it equal for all. Maybe at a slight cost to pirates, though.

But other issues may be worse. Like upkeep and tax. I assume it may be possible to remove it by deducting these from a specified bank account as well, but although that would make things more equal, it would surely be a great disadvantage for pirates (well, those not living in Europe, anyway).

And then there's the "King making", which also happens at midnight. If you're trying a hostile takeover as king in a nation, it is virtually impossible to do that without being online at the seconds leading up to the point when the King is decided. So by not being able to be online at server midnight, such actions becomes unavailable.

And there is also a minor issue with skirmish. Du to the way skirmish protection works, it's better to skirmish people "early in the day", before other pirates have skirmished them and increased their escape chances or maybe even made them immune.

There are so many things happening at midnight, with serious impacts on gameplay. Being online and able to take advantage of these events is a huge benefit, which primarily is unavailable to European players.

Equality of Time now!
Haron
Forum Rambler

Postby Shadowood » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:44 pm

Haron wrote:
Equality of Time now!

:beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer
I don't fear death. I look forward to it with great anticipation. For then I will met God face to face and let him know that I stole his Man of War!!!
Shadowood
Fantasy Draft Deity

Postby Haron » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:03 pm

We're still marching. No discrimination based on sex, race, religion or time zone! Equality of time now!
Haron
Forum Rambler

Postby Haron » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:56 am

I have a dream! That one day, people will have the same opportunities, regardless of the time zone they live in! That each individual will have the same rights and privileges across Avonmora!

Equality of time now!
Haron
Forum Rambler

Postby Shadowood » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:27 pm

I have a nightmare.... at 0700 gametime every day. Because, well I'm actually sleeping.

EQUAL TIME FOR ALL
Shadowood
Fantasy Draft Deity

Postby Zephore » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:38 pm

VIVA LA ... Can one even use this, fittingly? EQUAL TIME
Zephore

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion