Daily Updates Revision

Any game related discussion can take place here. Examples: Discuss about how bad the merchant rates have been lately, how rich you have became by following this specific strategy which now needs to stop etc etc

Daily Updates Revision

Postby DezNutz » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:54 am

Ahoy Mateys!

At the direction of Captain Jack and the forethought of Haron, I am presenting an idea for discussion to the community.

As most of you are aware the server (game) performs preset functions (daily updates) at a predetermined time (server midnight). Server Midnight takes place at 00:00:00 GMT/UTC. Some of these daily updates provide an unfair advantage due to the consistent time these actions always occur at. This is particularly advantageous for players who live in the USA and Australia, while those in Europe, Africa, Middle East, and parts of Asia are at a disadvantage as this occurs at hours when they are normally sleeping.

There are 4 points that should be addressed.

Tax and Upkeep

Issue: Provides increased opportunity for ship stealing especially when trying to reduce the gold on hand.

Suggested Change 1: Tax and Upkeep is split and taken in intervals. Either every 12 or 8 hours. This reduces the amount taken but gives the opportunity to use tax and upkeep to most time zones and players.

Suggested Change 2: Tax and Upkeep occurs every 12 hours. Effectively making the day in Avonmora last only 12 hours. This does have a downfall as costs are effectively doubled within a 24 hour period. This could be an issue for new players.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stipends

Issue: The opportunity to steal gc from stipends is limited to players that are within ideal time zones. Securing those funds can also be problematic. Additionally, players that run high danger consistently but live outside of certain time zones are at a greater disadvantage as their gold coin balance is visible.

Suggested Change: Stipends will be split to payout throughout the day. Suggested is hourly. This limits some of the issue and makes the risk shared by all that receive stipends.

Port Ownership

Issue: It is ideal for influence changes to occur right before update. This is again advantageous to those within specified time zones.

Suggested Change: Port change occurs every 12 hours.

Rank Changes (King Specifically)

Issue: Similar to Port Ownership, it is ideal for influence changes to occur right before update. This is especially prevalent for treasury raids and infighting among nation members. Again, advantageous to those within specified time zones.

This is an open discussion.

Specifically to Haron, if there is anything that I misrepresented from the details that CJ provided to me, please let me know and I will correct them.
I'm only here for Game Development and Forum Moderation.

If you see a forum rule violation, report the post.
DezNutz
Players Dev Team Coordinator

Re: Daily Updates Revision

Postby DezNutz » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:59 am

IMO,

I actually agree with the first two points (Tax and Upkeep, & Stipends) and their suggested changes.

I'm not exactly sure on the last two. There would have to be an additional mechanism. Having these update every 12 hours would be ridiculous. There should be qualifiers, such as needing to hold the influence for x number of updates for a change to occur.

The last two definitely need some serious thought.

DezNutz

Postby Shadowood » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:21 pm

AVONMORA ADOPTS UNIQUE "DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME"

Every month the server clock moves forward 2 hours. So that in 12 months the clock will be the same again. Thus allowing everyone around the globe a the same fair chance at "server reset" items.
I don't fear death. I look forward to it with great anticipation. For then I will met God face to face and let him know that I stole his Man of War!!!
Shadowood
Fantasy Draft Deity

Postby Sir Henry Morgan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:01 pm

Shadowood wrote:AVONMORA ADOPTS UNIQUE "DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME"

Every month the server clock moves forward 2 hours. So that in 12 months the clock will be the same again. Thus allowing everyone around the globe a the same fair chance at "server reset" items.

Aye...that would do it....
Sir Henry Morgan

Postby sXs » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:13 pm

DezNutz wrote:Ahoy Mateys!

At the direction of Captain Jack and the forethought of Haron, I am presenting an idea for discussion to the community.

As most of you are aware the server (game) performs preset functions (daily updates) at a predetermined time (server midnight). Server Midnight takes place at 00:00:00 GMT/UTC. Some of these daily updates provide an unfair advantage due to the consistent time these actions always occur at. This is particularly advantageous for players who live in the USA and Australia, while those in Europe, Africa, Middle East, and parts of Asia are at a disadvantage as this occurs at hours when they are normally sleeping.

There are 4 points that should be addressed.

Tax and Upkeep

Issue: Provides increased opportunity for ship stealing especially when trying to reduce the gold on hand.

Suggested Change 1: Tax and Upkeep is split and taken in intervals. Either every 12 or 8 hours. This reduces the amount taken but gives the opportunity to use tax and upkeep to most time zones and players.

Suggested Change 2: Tax and Upkeep occurs every 12 hours. Effectively making the day in Avonmora last only 12 hours. This does have a downfall as costs are effectively doubled within a 24 hour period. This could be an issue for new players.

So you want to make it harder for pirates and raiders whenfor the last 3 years the player base has been asking for updates to promote piracy.

I guess it really is time to change the name of the game to Traders Glory

DezNutz wrote:Stipends

Issue: The opportunity to steal gc from stipends is limited to players that are within ideal time zones. Securing those funds can also be problematic. Additionally, players that run high danger consistently but live outside of certain time zones are at a greater disadvantage as their gold coin balance is visible.

Suggested Change: Stipends will be split to payout throughout the day. Suggested is hourly. This limits some of the issue and makes the risk shared by all that receive stipends.

This will drive down activity even more. Stipends rarely put players over the 50 million gc amount, and if they do then the player is rarely active and may should be subject to raids.

Nation treasury payouts do this and those are easy to adjust. Simply propose your payout at a time you will be active.
DezNutz wrote:
Port Ownership

Issue: It is ideal for influence changes to occur right before update. This is again advantageous to those within specified time zones.

Rank Changes (King Specifically)

Issue: Similar to Port Ownership, it is ideal for influence changes to occur right before update. This is especially prevalent for treasury raids and infighting among nation members. Again, advantageous to those within specified time zones.

This has never been an issue. Port ownership rarely changes for more than a day, but when it does it is because of an organized and concerted effort by a group. Simply changing the time will not make a difference. It will actually have the opposite affect.
sXs

Postby PFH » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:24 pm

In agreement with feniks on all of this.
Evil Teddy Bear :P
PFH

Postby DezNutz » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:30 pm

Not everyone in the player base lives in the US and benefits from when server midnight occurs. For some, this update is in the middle of the night. Should those players just be traders?

I guess you wouldn't be complaining if the benefit of server update occurred at 3am your local time while most would normally be sleeping.

DezNutz

Postby sXs » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:36 pm

DezNutz wrote:Not everyone in the player base lives in the US and benefits from when server midnight occurs. For some, this update is in the middle of the night. Should those players just be traders?

I guess you wouldn't be complaining if the benefit of server update occurred at 3am your local time while most would normally be sleeping.

I play games like that and I make arrangements to be available.

This takes away part of strategy.

Also, if you know anything about me, I played this game when I lived in Australia and when I spent a few months in Italy. Made adjustments.
sXs

Postby PFH » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:41 pm

Its about the taxes. Its a bad idea. Taxation raids have been a vital part in historical raids and current raids. Its effective and is another strategy for pirates. Stipends dont need multiple daily payouts.
Evil Teddy Bear :P
PFH

Postby sXs » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:42 pm

DezNutz wrote:Not everyone in the player base lives in the US and benefits from when server midnight occurs. For some, this update is in the middle of the night. Should those players just be traders?

who

This is much like the credit value change. It does nothing. Simply changes who is at a disadvantage...... even if you make it rolling..... someone will always have reset in the middle of the night even if you do twice a day. it is always going to be the middle of the night when someone gets raided or a port gets taken
sXs

Next

Return to General Discussion