The Wishlist of Sir Henry Morgan

Here you can post your own wishlist and comment on the lists of other players. One topic per player.

Re: The Wishlist of Sir Henry Morgan

Postby DezNutz » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:11 am

Sir Henry Morgan wrote:Aye, but if the goal be to put the strength of play into ships and fleets, the role of voodoo will move to its place to enhance and enable that strength rather than overwhelm it.

Besides, if eliminating voodoo altogether is the goal, well ye have to start somewhere to get from where we be to where we wish to go. To sweep voodoo all away at once would put the game in "under construction" mode for eternity.

Start the transition somewhere, a piece at a time.....

I don't think you could shift the role of voodoo with out expanding it. What I mean is that say for instance a new mechanic/feature is to be implemented that would replace the need of certain voodoo. The voodoo intended to be phased out will still exist. The shift in role would add new voodoo while the old voodoo is still being phased out. After some time, the unnecessary voodoo would be removed. This would be an expansion of voodoo, regardless of the end result, as the end result is not and could not be done instantaneously.

If it requires an expansion of voodoo to get to the end result of a reduced impact of voodoo, then the path is not one that should be taken.

I wouldn't expect the game to eliminate it all at once or even in big chunks. Phasing something out is exactly that phasing it out.
I'm only here for Game Development and Forum Moderation.

If you see a forum rule violation, report the post.
DezNutz
Players Dev Team Coordinator

Postby Dejanira » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:01 pm

Sir Henry Morgan wrote:Rum for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner and Supper....

Wait, that be reality in me case.

On a more serious note, there be much in the wings that is going to boost nations and battles - the Letter of Marque, Enemy of the Crown and Blockades, the new Hostility laws, Plantations, all a nice package for strategy and play at the upper levels. I look forward to it as it will change game play.

Here be me true wish list:

I hope to see a day that wielding a ship and her cannon be more feared and powerful than voodoo in one's warchest.

I by no means have the answers, just the concept I'd like to see the way PG will move. I don't believe getting rid of all voodoo be the answer, but move the power from the voodoo chest to the ships and fleets at sea would be on my wishlist, or at least bring them to a much more level playing field.

For instance, how one has outfitted his ships and configured his fleet would play against another, whether to escape battle,or inflict extra damage (level or attribute loss) , or take more damage. The battle should cause some "hurt." Right now, one just fights, repairs and repeat. To inflict "hurt" one fires a leviathan or a sabotage curse - and it doesn't even require a ship battle to execute. Using a fire ship, now that makes sense - but there be more vengeance in some curses than there be battle strategy.

On Black Death, instead of firing voodoo and killing 1% of a port's population, purchase a "special cargo" or put a curse upon a ship to carry the plague, Where it will dock and deliver its cargo. For the next 24 hours she drains up to 5% of the population down the River Stix unless someone can locate the source of the plague. Make the plague expensive to acquire, transport and deposit into the port. Make it difficult but possible to locate and stop.

Instead of firing a curse to kill an adversary's officer, catch one of his ships in port and take shot at 'em. Send your crew into port and "take care" of him. If ye have crew with the skill, they can press gang another's crew into service ... it be rare, but it would definitely take more than a few credits, a few turns, and voodoo cards to pull it off. Much more satisfying, too, knowing he not only lost captain, admiral and crew, but ye be the one who gained 'em!

Or, with a wee bit of outfitting of ships, populations can be moved as much in a day by a fleet of ships as one "transport immigrant curse does in a cast.

And, instead of a curse for charity donation, one can still "buy" influence with gold coin. How about a fleet loaded with goods for aid and good will, (or special rum!) can be transported for a boost in influence. Trade can get one some influence, as it does fame- perhaps tie fame to the amount of influence gained in a port to one's trade and their fame. Exchange Fame for Influence (we already do so for gold coin). Lower citizen taxes should also boost influence, or at least level it off where there be no loss of influence during updates. Trade can also be taxed in the port (as has been discussed in other topics) so lower taxes for citizens ought to increase influence and population in a port.

Bottom line, there be many ways to bring power back to the seas, and away from the voodoo war chest. Not all at once, but like fertile lands, eventually, voodoo can be weaned away from play as features begin to push forth. Should voodoo cards be totally replaced? By no means. Master Craftsmanship, Expedition journey, Fugitive from Justice, Hostile Natives, and many more affect ships directly.

When it be figured how to put as much or more power in one's ships rather than his voodoo chest, we will begin to sea some seafaring adventure.

Don't get me wrong, voodoo has served a purpose - it has brought life to the game that would ne'er been here if not for voodoo. It may be time for a transition of power from the voodoo to the ships and fleets of Avonmora, or at least bring the power and might to the sea to match that of a witch doctor.

Here be the features in which this may come closer to what I hope to see:

1 Ship Specialization
2 Crew and Officer Skills to be used to replace or be as effective as voodoo.
3. Specialty ships builder feature in hideout for development and upgrades that can be sold on the market.
4. Officer training for Captains, admirals and merchants in hideouts.

Bumping up this interesting idea :)
Stay tuned on Radio Image Bermuda!
Are you a new player? Contact me in game and I'll cast a helping voodoo. Consider this like a sort of "tutorial mission".
Dejanira

Postby Kangaroo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:05 pm

Dejanira wrote:
Sir Henry Morgan wrote:Rum for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner and Supper....

Wait, that be reality in me case.

On a more serious note, there be much in the wings that is going to boost nations and battles - the Letter of Marque, Enemy of the Crown and Blockades, the new Hostility laws, Plantations, all a nice package for strategy and play at the upper levels. I look forward to it as it will change game play.

Here be me true wish list:

I hope to see a day that wielding a ship and her cannon be more feared and powerful than voodoo in one's warchest.

I by no means have the answers, just the concept I'd like to see the way PG will move. I don't believe getting rid of all voodoo be the answer, but move the power from the voodoo chest to the ships and fleets at sea would be on my wishlist, or at least bring them to a much more level playing field.

For instance, how one has outfitted his ships and configured his fleet would play against another, whether to escape battle,or inflict extra damage (level or attribute loss) , or take more damage. The battle should cause some "hurt." Right now, one just fights, repairs and repeat. To inflict "hurt" one fires a leviathan or a sabotage curse - and it doesn't even require a ship battle to execute. Using a fire ship, now that makes sense - but there be more vengeance in some curses than there be battle strategy.

On Black Death, instead of firing voodoo and killing 1% of a port's population, purchase a "special cargo" or put a curse upon a ship to carry the plague, Where it will dock and deliver its cargo. For the next 24 hours she drains up to 5% of the population down the River Stix unless someone can locate the source of the plague. Make the plague expensive to acquire, transport and deposit into the port. Make it difficult but possible to locate and stop.

Instead of firing a curse to kill an adversary's officer, catch one of his ships in port and take shot at 'em. Send your crew into port and "take care" of him. If ye have crew with the skill, they can press gang another's crew into service ... it be rare, but it would definitely take more than a few credits, a few turns, and voodoo cards to pull it off. Much more satisfying, too, knowing he not only lost captain, admiral and crew, but ye be the one who gained 'em!

Or, with a wee bit of outfitting of ships, populations can be moved as much in a day by a fleet of ships as one "transport immigrant curse does in a cast.

And, instead of a curse for charity donation, one can still "buy" influence with gold coin. How about a fleet loaded with goods for aid and good will, (or special rum!) can be transported for a boost in influence. Trade can get one some influence, as it does fame- perhaps tie fame to the amount of influence gained in a port to one's trade and their fame. Exchange Fame for Influence (we already do so for gold coin). Lower citizen taxes should also boost influence, or at least level it off where there be no loss of influence during updates. Trade can also be taxed in the port (as has been discussed in other topics) so lower taxes for citizens ought to increase influence and population in a port.

Bottom line, there be many ways to bring power back to the seas, and away from the voodoo war chest. Not all at once, but like fertile lands, eventually, voodoo can be weaned away from play as features begin to push forth. Should voodoo cards be totally replaced? By no means. Master Craftsmanship, Expedition journey, Fugitive from Justice, Hostile Natives, and many more affect ships directly.

When it be figured how to put as much or more power in one's ships rather than his voodoo chest, we will begin to sea some seafaring adventure.

Don't get me wrong, voodoo has served a purpose - it has brought life to the game that would ne'er been here if not for voodoo. It may be time for a transition of power from the voodoo to the ships and fleets of Avonmora, or at least bring the power and might to the sea to match that of a witch doctor.

Here be the features in which this may come closer to what I hope to see:

1 Ship Specialization
2 Crew and Officer Skills to be used to replace or be as effective as voodoo.
3. Specialty ships builder feature in hideout for development and upgrades that can be sold on the market.
4. Officer training for Captains, admirals and merchants in hideouts.

Bumping up this interesting idea :)

+1
Some people are like Slinkies, totally useless but great fun to watch when you push them down the stairs
Kangaroo

Postby Redjack02 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:15 pm

+1
Redjack02

Postby Jack Teach » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:22 pm

+10
Jack Teach

Postby Bomont » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:17 pm

+1 Completely agree with the OP