Vanes Pro's and Con's Wishlist for Pirates

Here you can post your own wishlist and comment on the lists of other players. One topic per player.

Re: Vanes Pro's and Con's Wishlist for Pirates

Postby sXs » Mon May 01, 2017 4:18 pm

Curious about one thing. Is the Pirate Flagship a one off item? Limited to one per player? And what about plunder of the flagship? If a prate loses his flagship, can he retrofit another? Should it revert to initial setup?

Very least it should be limited to one flagship per fleet, maybe even one per player.
sXs

Postby Shadowood » Mon May 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Feniks wrote:Curious about one thing. Is the Pirate Flagship a one off item? Limited to one per player? And what about plunder of the flagship? If a prate loses his flagship, can he retrofit another? Should it revert to initial setup?

Very least it should be limited to one flagship per fleet, maybe even one per player.

You should read over the post from JessicaA.

You can control only one. Yours. But you can capture others (very hard task), it will retain any of the upgrades it has, but you won't control it. Meaning it will stay the same, you may not upgrade it further.
I don't fear death. I look forward to it with great anticipation. For then I will met God face to face and let him know that I stole his Man of War!!!
Shadowood
Fantasy Draft Deity

Postby Shadowood » Mon May 01, 2017 4:23 pm

Oh.. and if you lose yours, you cannot build a new one. You must get yours back, if you can. xD
I don't fear death. I look forward to it with great anticipation. For then I will met God face to face and let him know that I stole his Man of War!!!
Shadowood
Fantasy Draft Deity

Postby Charles Vane » Mon May 01, 2017 5:54 pm

50 ships is still high but I was going with what is acceptable for a "new player / pirate" to build up. I personally run 3 fleets and they aren't always maxed at 5 ships either.
Charles Vane

Postby Haron » Tue May 02, 2017 9:19 am

I am not fond of making a set of important special rules for those flying the black flag. To me, this is a way to put labels on various play styles, and worse, to "force" people who wants plunder to be an important part of their game, into a specific play style. With important advantages for plunder given to those flying the Black Flag, it will become hard or impossible to live off plundering while using a nations flag. Also, with the restrictions suggested for the Black Flag, it simultaneously forces those flying the Black Flag into a very specific way of playing the game. To me, this would be the game saying "If you want to do a lot of plunder, you have to play exactly like this: ...". I dislike that.

Also, I disagree with the strong separation of pirates and others. I think it should be perfectly possible, as it is today, to both do a lot of plunder, and at the same time take part in the political aspect of the game. The diversity and the ability to define one's own path and play style, is very important to me. This suggestion would become a huge step towards a clear division between pirates and merchants, with a rather well defined way of playing for both sides.

I see the Black Flag as an option simply for those who, for some reason, do not wish to belong to a nation. I see traders using the Black Flag too, possibly to get the no tax and half upkeep. It is said that "nationals get so many benefits". Hardly true. First, almost all of those benefits are depending on that nation controlling a port. For symmetry, advantages to pirates should then require pirates to hold a port as well (yes, I realize that there are several problems with this). Also, most of the advantages are very minor. The Duke bonus is a big thing for gold traders, but because of the party cards, it is not much of a benefit for "ordinary" traders. Nations also have no benefits at all regarding plunder. Nations controlling ports, however, get NPC tax. That CAN be a big deal, but one also has to bear in mind the costs connected with holding a port and maintaining the influence. And so, I see no reason to give extra perks to the Black Flag. It only reduces the options on how to play. Pirates may need to be strengthened, but that should go for ALL "pirates", no matter what flag they fly.
The T'zak Ryn offers Naval Combat Solutions for the Quality Conscious Customer
Haron
Forum Rambler

Postby Grimrock Litless » Tue May 02, 2017 9:25 am

Remember guys, the game is called pirates glory, but its not completely about pirates, it is more of the theme of the game is in the pirate ages.
"Got ya."
Grimrock Litless

Postby Haron » Tue May 02, 2017 9:27 am

Grimrock Litless wrote:Remember guys, the game is called pirates glory, but its not completely about pirates, it is more of the theme of the game is in the pirate ages.

Absolutely, Grimrock. Anyway, discussing rules based on the NAME of a game is never a good idea.
The T'zak Ryn offers Naval Combat Solutions for the Quality Conscious Customer
Haron
Forum Rambler

Postby Admiral Nelson » Tue May 02, 2017 9:40 am

End of the day, they are far more Merchants then they are Pirates - As it should be in a game like this. However due to some Merchants turning down some Pirates ideas as it will effect there purse Avonmora is what it is today (Boring).

The array of features Merchants have, compared to pirates is incredible.

Thus why I am in favor of the Skirmish to be implemented.
Admiral Nelson

Postby Donald Trump » Tue May 02, 2017 12:55 pm

There should be no cap on ships for pirates. But, my definition/description of a pirate is quite simple.

- Trouble causer.
- Experienced ship raider,
- Profiteer.
- Not nation orientated (crucial).
- Not bound by alliances (crucial).
- Close to none fleets (crucial).
- Weak war ship user.
- Loose with voodoo.

The (crucial) is what I view as a must to being recognized as a pirate in my book. Everything else is important to description, but you don't have to be a trouble causer in order to be a pirate. Even though that would make me question why even want to be one.
Just repeat after me: "Czar Ivan did not help me win the elections."
Donald Trump

Previous

Return to Wishlists