Avonmora Herald

Through this thread, players can help game development

Avonmora Herald

Postby Captain Jack » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:12 pm

Ahoy,

We need to push forward Avonmora Herald automatic publishing.

We need to solve issues like:

Placement
-Should it pop as the first thing to read like now?
-Should it replace the Quartermaster in this regard?

There is a thought that players with time learn to quickly skip through them in order to first view their events, when they first log in.
However, once players do their urgent things to do, they CHILL at the Tavern! Indeed, this is what ACTUALLY happens based on data analysis.

This is what got me thinking that perhaps we should remove both newspaper and quartermaster as entry pages. For the Newspaper specifically, we could add a header at the top of the Tavern page. Once it is read for the day, the header will be removed.

News Type Listing and priorities

What we mostly need is what kind of news the Herald will generate. Not only this but also which ones will it display but also which ones will it display first. For this to work, we need to define all possible news types and then prioritize them.

Here is an old list I compiled that we can use as a starting point:
Check for Port switches
Check for New Kings
Check for Most Improved > 1M
Check for Highest Loss > 1M, Check if it is from Politician Speech
Check for number of battles total
Check for number of battles individual
Check for Game Stats
Check for Bank Stats
Check for country stats

Let's see the first element: Port Switches

Let's suppose that this is the top new for a citizen of Avonmora. Is it really it? The answer for me is yes. If you think for a moment, most players would be interested to learn if a port has switched hands.

Equally important would be to know if the King of a nation has changed. But since this can be frequent, there needs to also be a prioritization based on nation size. I mean, a player who makes King at a 1 man nation, does not have the same importance. These are details we need to track and write down here. So this line should become instead:

Check for New Kings at important/big nations

Moving forward the list, we see Most Improved > 1M. But I can already think a lot of events that are more important than this one. Remember, this list is old. A good event would be when nations declare WAR at each other. Especially if these nations are big. Let's add this:

Check for Declarations of War > Base Priority on Nations Sizes, Include both nations in this priority check.

Why both? Because, let's assume that a 1-man country decides to declare war against all top nations. This should not flood the Herald. This is why the declaring nation must be checked. In fact, this is a concern we should teach our engine to avoid in general, so 1 player will be hard to flood the herald in purpose. This brings us to next chapter.

Smart Filters

Some smart filters like the one described above will be needed. I do not want to dive you into this as it is a bit complicated to explain and organize but I just put it here. If you get any filter in mind, that would apply to more than one category, mention it.

For the two cases above, we can create the Smart Filter Notorious. Then,add it as a tag next to each line: [Notorious SF]
SF stands for Smart Filter

See usage below.
Captain Jack
Project Coordinator

Re: Avonmora Herald

Postby Captain Jack » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:17 pm

When you have a priorities list idea/suggestion, post it in a new post, explaining about it. Then, edit this post and add it here.

Priorities List
============================

1. Port switches
2. New Kings [Notorious SF]
3. Wars Between Nations [Notorious SF]
4. Most Improved Player > 1M
5. Highest Loss Player > 1M, Check if it is from Politician Speech
6. Battles total - day
7. Number of battles individual - day
8. Game Stats (Needs to become exact - Which will they be and at which order)
9. Bank Stats (Needs to become exact)
10. Country Stats (Needs to become exact)

When you think of a new Smart Filter, create a new post with it explaining it, then edit this post and add it to the list. Also add a brief description.

Smart Filters List
===============

• Notorious
  • It executes various comparisons and orders events based on how popular the involved parties are.
Captain Jack
Project Coordinator

Return to Development