Foundry - New Building & New Market

We are always looking for ways to improve the game. In fact, since the beginning player suggestions had played a major part in game design.

We read all suggestions.

Re: Foundry - New Building & New Market

Postby Malachi Constant » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:48 am

Shadowood wrote:
Malachi Constant wrote:+1

But, some specifics.

I do like the idea of another market and commodity that is player created. I think the devs have said something about wanting this, so why introduce something new that is against that.

What would cargo space be for said cannons if you have to move them for sale?

Would you have to move them, or just build them in hideout and they can be sold throughout? or like gold bars that can not be sold where they are produced? or do you suggest a market like credits where people bid on these guns?

A market like Ship Market is what I envisioned.

Cargo space for Cannon Balls/Shot - I am torn on this one. Create a new storage space for ships just for shot or increase current holds and players determine how much they want to carry. ???

I only meant a cargo size if other than a ship style market. If they had to be moved for sale.

If it's a ship style market than it's a nonissue

I really like it and the stats that you have attached and the detail. Well done Sir
Malachi Constant

Postby Shadowood » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:50 pm

Thought came across my mind regarding the different dmg with the different shot. What if also, different ships were susceptible to different kinds of damage.

SoLT is 5% stronger against Round Shot, but 10% weaker to Bar and Chain
LMM is 5% stonger to Bar and Chain, but 10% weaker to Round Shot
Etc...

You would need to know what shot is best against certain ships..
Just an idea to tie into this one and also Ship Specialization.
I don't fear death. I look forward to it with great anticipation. For then I will met God face to face and let him know that I stole his Man of War!!!
Shadowood
Fantasy Draft Deity

Postby Mugiwara » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:10 pm

You are exceeding yourself on the suggestions. It would lead more strategy and diversity which is good to have. attacking to big ships hit accuracy more damage less. attacking small ships hit accuracy less damage more. also speed will also change the strong and weak points of specific ships.
Mugiwara

Postby Grimrock Litless » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:06 pm

Good Idea, still, I gonna -1 for killing crews, one man already said why, the ships would not move if there is 0 crew.
"Got ya."
Grimrock Litless

Postby Maha » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:28 pm

Grimrock Litless wrote:Good Idea, still, I gonna -1 for killing crews, one man already said why, the ships would not move if there is 0 crew.

the attacker puts a prize crew in those ships if he can spare at least 15 crew members from the fleet that did the attack. it opens a new element in gameplay. now ships are undercrewed to avoid danger gain on short routes. these ships wil become vulnerable to grapeshot attacks and can be stolen even when they're not in the tail. what fun to develop attacks and defense strategies when this gets implemented.

(spelling mistake edited)
Last edited by Maha on Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maha

Postby Bmw » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:00 pm

there can be ways on ships in the past where they would get completely blown up and sinking and there would still be a ton of people on board and they leave on a small boat head head to another .
Bmw

Postby Shadowood » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:50 pm

Grimrock Litless wrote:Good Idea, still, I gonna -1 for killing crews, one man already said why, the ships would not move if there is 0 crew.

Grim, please read over the original suggestion again. It has been edited to where you cannot kill crew under the minimum amount to keep a ship sailing. Which is 15 crew.

But crew is tied into the speed of a ship, so if we were able to kill some crew, it will make that ship slower. A War Galleon killing a crew on a Frigate would "level the playing field" so to speak.
I don't fear death. I look forward to it with great anticipation. For then I will met God face to face and let him know that I stole his Man of War!!!
Shadowood
Fantasy Draft Deity

Postby Shadowood » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:35 pm

Good time to bump this post.
Shadowood
Fantasy Draft Deity

Postby Sir Thalius Hayle » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Bumping again, because this subject has been on my mind, and ship tech/modification is badly needed and desired by just about all.

And besides, this idea just rocks! ;)

Some thoughts:

With the differing shot types I would suggest three different areas of damage each ship takes: Hull damage, rigging damage, and crew. Different shot targets each to a greater degree. Ship is limited in gun numbers and space though, so a player has to choose what to load their guns with.

~Damaged rigging slows the ship drastically and effects aim and gives greater chance of first shot to opponent.
~Reduced crew reduces firing rate and accuracy.
~Damaged hull is a damaged hull- reduce to sink ship.

I would also suggest that shot types that target crew have a range of potential damage to crew numbers, not a flat 25 or 50 percent, but a 1%-25% potential crew loss, or 1%-50% potential crew loss. Shot type could be upgraded through foundry research to achieve better percentages. Same with other shot and their damage type.

I also see a need for bow and chase guns on ships, as was mentioned, and a need to limit larger guns to larger ships. Those are subjects for the topic of ship customization though, not tech.

Big +1 to the idea of a new player driven market for these items as well, and the need to stock and replenish ships as you use up ammo and wear out guns. You will need to keep your foundry stocked, and forge the items for your own use and to sell.

Or forgo the foundry yourself and simply purchase the tech from a player that can provide the level tech you desire.

A personal note: I would couple this idea with the suggestion made for the modification of the line of battle mechanics: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3965, as differing cannon/shot types on ships along with this battle mechanic would certainly make for a more strategic combat system in the game. Add the ability to modify base ship stats at creation through a custom shipwright, and individual fleet treasuries to provide more reasonable fleet risk management so more of these fleets can be put to sea, and combat on the seas of Avonmora gets very interesting indeed...

Even if none of the rest gets attention though- I want foundry at my hideout, and a store to sell my tech from. :P

Great work, Shadowood!

~TH~
Last edited by Sir Thalius Hayle on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” ~ Samuel Clemens
Sir Thalius Hayle

Postby Shadowood » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:50 pm

Thanks TH!

I sometimes have a few good ones rolling around in the old noggin. ;)
Shadowood
Fantasy Draft Deity

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions