Guild Takeover

We are always looking for ways to improve the game. In fact, since the beginning player suggestions had played a major part in game design.

We read all suggestions.

Guild Takeover

Postby Captain Jack » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:37 pm

Ahoy all,

Thanks to Shadowood, we have a new idea for a game feature. This is an early discussion where I will present you the idea. We feel that this feature is very good to be added as soon as possible in the game. So, if discussion is fruitful in a quick way, the suggestion and implementation will follow up equally fast.

Without further undo, here is the initial idea:

Objective:
-Takeover position of an inactive guildmaster

Now, especially when speaking about guildmates, this is already happening. Most of the time, we will accept a request from an active member to (or the highest ranked active member) to replace the inactive guildmaster. So, having a scripted way to do this, is not only better for the gameplay but also better for administration as it cuts on time needed for support (this is always a good thing).

Functionality
Interested player will need to initiate a mission. There will be criteria on what exactly the mission will require for the takeover to be successful.

The player should not request the mission from anyone. There can be a special link that will appear at the public guild page when a guildmaster is inactive. The interested player will follow this link to initiate his own personal takeover adventure.

Criteria

First of all, by criteria we mean the requirements needed for a) the mission to be possible and b)the mission to be successful.
Secondly, there will be different criteria for guildmates and different criteria for foreigners.

A)Leadership takeover
This is when guildmates will attempt to take over the position. The following criteria must be met to initiate the takeover.
1.Guildmaster has not logged in at all in the last 30 days.
2.Guildmaster has spent less than 500 turns in the last 90 days.

If these criteria are met, then any member will be able to start a mission for the leadership position.

The mission given for guildmates, could be the following:
-The initiator will need to pledge/mark 1 fleet for the takeover attempt. This fleet will receive a special rule: For the duration of the mission, the owner will not be able to add or remove any ships.
-If the fleet ends up empty of ships, the mission fails.
-Once the mission starts, all guildmates are alerted that a new challenge is now active. Notifications will kick in normally.
-The initiator may cancel the mission at any time.
-You will not be able to start a new challenge for at least 2 weeks in the same guild if you fail or cancel.
-Alerted guildmates that become active can either passively accept this or oppose the initiator.
-To oppose an initiator, the guild rank will play a role. If your rank is higher, then once you oppose him the initiator will need to take away your own pledged fleet. If your rank is lower, you will pledge no fleet but you will need to completely wipe off the ships in the pledged fleet of the initiator.
-If the guildmaster returns active while the challenge is open, he will be given 3 natural choices like any other guildmate: a)Passively accept the challenge and lose the position, b)Oppose like everyone else (the initiator will always need to take away the guildmaster pledged fleet), c)PErsuade your guildmate to cancel it. As it is obvious, nothing special happens if guildmaster returns; the contest is still on.
-There will be a timeframe given for all to become possible. At the end of this time limit, the mission will end. The result will be relative to the actions taken. Time limits could be as listed below:
*Initiator issues the challenge. All guildmates have 3 days to declare opposition.
*If no one declares opposition, then the mission is successful at the end of the 3 days.
*If anyone declares opposition at anytime, then the mission will expire 3 days more later (6 days total).
*Once the time expires, then the game will resolve the outcome.

B)Guild takeover

This will happen when a foreigner will attempt to take guild leadership. The criteria here will be different for the mission to be possible:
1.Guildmaster has not logged in at all in the last 60 days.
2.Guildmaster has spent less than 500 turns in the last 90 days.

We practically give guilds a window of 30 days before foreigners can do the same.

The same rules will apply for foreigners. The difference is that the offender will always need to take off the fleets of the opposing remaining guildmates.

Rules Conflict Resolution
-If more than one challenges are active, then the one that resolves successful first, makes all the rest fail.
This means that you cannot challenge the new guildmaster as these missions will be guildmaster specific, not guild specific.
-Returning Guildmasters will have pretty limited access to guild manage panels during the challenge.
-Any would be able to participate during this challenges. This is because the objective for the missions will be always a fleet and the mission outcome is dependent on the fleet survival; anyone can target a fleet.
-Guilds that have all their members inactive, will mean that no one can oppose. However, outsiders will still possible to destroy the pledged fleet of the initiator and stop the takeover.
-Multiple initiations will be possible.

Extra details
-Most guilds can currently be removed at anytime by their guildmasters. Some, require administration approval. We can make this mission-based as well - when a guildmaster wants to remove the guild, the same procedure will be followed. In this way anyone could stop him from doing so. This will be particularly important for guilds that will have assets (buildings etc). Guildmasters will be able to purchase this extra protection. Meaning that if the previous guildmaster has not paid this protection (in gold coins) then the removal will not require a contest.

Options/Points/Questions/Suggestion/Approval/Feedback in general is welcomed. Remember, this is the first sketch of our idea. Which means that everything is on the table.
Captain Jack
Project Coordinator

Re: Guild Takeover

Postby Haron » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:50 pm

More action is always fun! However, I fear that this may be an alternative for only very few players. I may be wrong, but are there really many guild leaders who are away for over a month? And if so, would the remaining guild mates fight for that spot, or just either decide among themselves who should be the new leader, or join a different guild?

My fear is simply that this feature, which will require precious time and effort from the admin team, will be used very little, and only by very few. However, I don't have the statistics, so I might be wrong.
The T'zak Ryn offers Naval Combat Solutions for the Quality Conscious Customer
Haron
Forum Rambler

Postby Shadowood » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:02 pm

First, thanks Capt Jack for taking this idea and making it into something.

I want to say a feature like this will be pretty nice to have, but honestly, I don't see it being used A LOT. It will be used a bit as some may want to see some old forum posts from guilds long lost. But with my situation, I wanted to create a new guild (surprise to my current guild, I'm leaving), but the guild name I wanted is already taken.

With this new addition I will have to make a choice. Take the easy way and just a make a new guild with a new name, or do the missions. Me being stubborn but also one who likes new content, will do the mission. ;) But because of having the choice of just making a new guild I could see most not wanting to do this feature. (I could be wrong).

Now in regards to an inactive guildmaster of an active guild. That would s**k, so yeah, that should be implemented for those leaderless blokes who want to rise to the occasion. (or they can just ask to join my new guild once I throw down what ever gauntlet Jack creates for me.)

Again thanks for this Jack.
I don't fear death. I look forward to it with great anticipation. For then I will met God face to face and let him know that I stole his Man of War!!!
Shadowood
Fantasy Draft Deity

Postby William one eye » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:09 pm

I agree with Haron we need more action based activities. This will not create much as there are not a lot of people trying to take over abandoned guilds, but I like the idea and the way it is designed as a challenge. I would like to see concepts like this applied to areas that would be more used.

Now we need guild detainment abilities, to prevent your members from being able to leave. Just kidding Shadowood.
William one eye

Postby Maha » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:39 pm

what do we require of a guildmaster?
that depends on the flavor of the guild. a trade guild will look for different values than a pirate guild. However both want experienced players to lead them. to define 'experienced'is difficult, but the Fame level (highest ever) could substitute for it. make (having past) 5 million fame the entrance level for guildmastership

Captain Jack wrote:Extra details
-Most guilds can currently be removed at anytime by their guildmasters. Some, require administration approval. We can make this mission-based as well - when a guildmaster wants to remove the guild, the same procedure will be followed. In this way anyone could stop him from doing so. This will be particularly important for guilds that will have assets (buildings etc). Guildmasters will be able to purchase this extra protection. Meaning that if the previous guildmaster has not paid this protection (in gold coins) then the removal will not require a contest.

Options/Points/Questions/Suggestion/Approval/Feedback in general is welcomed. Remember, this is the first sketch of our idea. Which means that everything is on the table.

special guild assets! Now, this got my interest. an old guild can be valuable for her records. but guild buildings and other guild assets... mjammie
Maha

Postby DezNutz » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:02 pm

I don't think I've ever read this one before now. Amazing how things get buried.

It's a +1 from me.

Moving from Discussion to Suggestions and Bumping for community input.
I'm only here for Game Development and Forum Moderation.

If you see a forum rule violation, report the post.
DezNutz
Players Dev Team Coordinator

Postby PFH » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:29 pm

+1 definitely needed

Also, out with all the extra guilds that aren’t necessary !!
Evil Teddy Bear :P
PFH

Postby Lachlan » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:51 am

Clockwork wrote:+1 definitely needed

Also, out with all the extra guilds that aren’t necessary !!

yeah definitely, I remember when the SHIELD guild Master went inactive even though I was the second highest ranking I couldn't get him out of the guild master position and then I forgot to disband it before I left and I couldn't get back in
Lachlan

Postby William Pitt » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:19 pm

Kim Jong Un wrote: I forgot to disband it before I left and I couldn't get back in

:D :D
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
William Pitt

Postby PhoenixKnight » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:05 pm

At first I was going to object but I think the condition of inactivity and turns are reasonable enough
Phoenix Knight
Dragon of the desert and the two seas
PhoenixKnight

Return to Suggestions