Forgive Nation Debt Law

Do you have an idea for a new law? Post it here. The more support it gets, the quicker it will be implemented. Read the sticky inside for more info.

Forgive Nation Debt Law

Postby DezNutz » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:57 pm

The Title pretty much says everything.

Law would allow any member of the Nation's Council to submit a vote to forgive a player's nation debt.

1 Player Debt can be forgiven per vote.

Player cannot be a current member of the nation.

Standard vote rules would apply.
I'm only here for Game Development and Forum Moderation.

If you see a forum rule violation, report the post.
DezNutz
Players Dev Team Coordinator

Re: Forgive Nation Debt Law

Postby Banger » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:04 pm

I like this, could be helpful for returning players that had accumulated some debt prior to their hiadus, +1
Banger

Postby Most Lee Harmless » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:01 pm

Or....

They could just pay it. There should be a continuing mechanism to make a debt a continuing burden upon a player. As it stands once you quit the flag the debt just sits in limbo without any sanction nor means of recovery. Even the debtor cant act to clear it.

How writing off nation debts resolves that is debatable. If the nation cant recover what is rightfully owed to it then, frankly, whats the point of even recording it?

My view is a standing debt to a nation should mean a standing sanction : hostility gain should remain in force. Thus debtors would find themselves as targets in all future nation missions. To remove that continuing threat means repaying the debt voluntarily or, if they so choose, remain a target.
-1 : Move to archive.
Most Lee Harmless

Postby DezNutz » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:15 pm

Danik wrote:Or....

They could just pay it. There should be a continuing mechanism to make a debt a continuing burden upon a player. As it stands once you quit the flag the debt just sits in limbo without any sanction nor means of recovery. Even the debtor cant act to clear it.

How writing off nation debts resolves that is debatable. If the nation cant recover what is rightfully owed to it then, frankly, whats the point of even recording it?

My view is a standing debt to a nation should mean a standing sanction : hostility gain should remain in force. Thus debtors would find themselves as targets in all future nation missions. To remove that continuing threat means repaying the debt voluntarily or, if they so choose, remain a target.

Of course. This would just give the ability to clear/forgive debt if the nation wants to on a case by case basis.

DezNutz

Postby Most Lee Harmless » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Then if that is the desire just expunge all debt once the player loses the flag. Far simpler action and as debt is unrecoverable anyway it would get rid of a pointless set of data.
Most Lee Harmless

Postby DezNutz » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:08 pm

Danik wrote:Then if that is the desire just expunge all debt once the player loses the flag. Far simpler action and as debt is unrecoverable anyway it would get rid of a pointless set of data.

Not all debt has to be forgiven. There is some that will never be recovered. Others could be or atleast some. It's just an option.

DezNutz

Postby Most Lee Harmless » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:22 pm

DezNutz wrote:
Danik wrote:Then if that is the desire just expunge all debt once the player loses the flag. Far simpler action and as debt is unrecoverable anyway it would get rid of a pointless set of data.

Not all debt has to be forgiven. There is some that will never be recovered. Others could be or atleast some. It's just an option.

All debt might as well be forgiven as it can never be recovered so why differentiate?

I say that as its a subject raised often back in the day and every suggestion got knocked into the long grass suffice to make me consider it unlikely to ever be resolved. In which case just write it all off and dont bother even recording it.

Its sole function seems to be to provide a path to expelling citizens : once expelled it serves no function beyond that.
Most Lee Harmless

Postby DezNutz » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:20 pm

Danik wrote:
DezNutz wrote:

All debt might as well be forgiven as it can never be recovered so why differentiate?

I say that as its a subject raised often back in the day and every suggestion got knocked into the long grass suffice to make me consider it unlikely to ever be resolved. In which case just write it all off and dont bother even recording it.

Its sole function seems to be to provide a path to expelling citizens : once expelled it serves no function beyond that.

Then active players would abuse it. They would not pay taxes get booted, then just rejoin. The debt prevents them from rejoining until paid. If a nation wants to waive that, then they could. This gives the option.

Now you could say, that anyone that has been inactive for X+ days could automatically drop their debt and I'd be fine with that. I think that nations should still have the option.

DezNutz

Postby DezNutz » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:20 pm

Danik wrote:
DezNutz wrote:

Then active players would abuse it. They would not pay taxes get booted, then just rejoin. The debt prevents them from rejoining until paid. If a nation wants to waive that, then they could. This gives the option.

Now you could say, that anyone that has been inactive for X+ days could automatically drop their debt and I'd be fine with that. I think that nations should still have the option.

DezNutz

Postby PFH » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:45 pm

-1 personally as my opinion is with danik. There should be a penalty for not paying debts. If this was to be a law, i feel the king should only have 3 pardons in his term on debts.
Evil Teddy Bear :P
PFH

Next

Return to Law Suggestions