Punitive taxation

Do you have an idea for a new law? Post it here. The more support it gets, the quicker it will be implemented. Read the sticky inside for more info.

Punitive taxation

Postby Most Lee Harmless » Fri May 29, 2015 11:35 am

Purpose :

To achieve a more realistic economic effect for nations engaged in hostilities with one another. It seems unlikely that enemy flagged trade vessels would be permitted to go about their business unhindered in ports controlled by their foes. Thus this tax could be viewed as the necessary bribe paid to port officials to 'look the other way' as their contraband goods are loaded and unloaded.

Proposal :

That a nation may impose a trading tax upon selected nations it may be in conflict with at all ports under its control. This may also be seen as some recompense for any insurance losses under-written by the nation due to actions of the other nation.

The level of taxation may be varied to reflect the intensity of animosity between the two nations, from a nominal level (1-2%?) to mark displeasure up to full on punitive level (5-10-15%?) to discourage any trade at all into their ports..

Effect :

This allows for an economic element to conflict : by varying the tax rate, nations can indicate their level of discontent with another nation ; absence of such a tax would indicate friendship and goodwill exists between them and encourage more trade between them to the benefit of both nations.
-1 : Move to archive.
Most Lee Harmless

Re: Punitive taxation

Postby Kart » Fri May 29, 2015 1:27 pm

I am undecided about this idea. I like the concept and it sounds interesting, but it does present some problems.

While this idea would add to the intrigue of national treaties and give another dimension to the hostility ratings, It could create headaches for a nation with no recourse for matters. Currently guilds can kick people out but nations cannot kick out active citizens, not even for criminal behavior. This could lead to people joining a nation just to cause hostility between two nations and cause such taxation's to come into place.

The only apparent option in this case would be to declare such people as an enemies of the state. Then do things to force them to leave the nation or become pirates.

While I am not sure I am in favor of the idea, I find the idea intriguing and would like to see more discussion on it.
Kart
Community Motivator

Postby Captain Jack » Fri May 29, 2015 1:28 pm

Feel free to continue discussion knowing that such ideas will be able to be implemented after the Nation Pacts expansion.
Captain Jack
Project Coordinator

Postby Synyster » Fri May 29, 2015 1:57 pm

Pretty decent idea, to impose such taxes.. but like Kart pointed out, there are downsides to it.. for example, i could make myself a huge enemy of Nation X, causing them to tax all ships carrying my current nation's flag, then simply join Nation X or some other nation, leaving the rest of the members in that nation affected for a few days at least, assuming the current time frame of 3 days for laws to be passed in parliament..

Maybe such taxes can be scaled to individual hostility levels, such as the ones that u can view in 'Hostility Reports' from the 'Parliament' tab..

So in this example, a guy with 4510 hostility rating with Midway Islands (u know who u are) will be taxed 4510 gc per ship that trades at Midway controlled ports.. or maybe buy goods that cost x+4510 gc.. something like that.. thoughts?
*Synyster*
Synyster

Postby Roberts » Fri May 29, 2015 1:59 pm

Synyster wrote: So in this example, a guy with 4510 hostility rating with Midway Islands (u know who u are) will be taxed 4510 gc per ship that trades at Midway controlled ports.. or maybe buy goods that cost x+4510 gc.. something like that.. thoughts?

4510!? :o :o :o Really?

I thought mine was high (2510) ...
Civilian:Are you insane? One pirate against trained pirates... Who do you think this man is? God?
My Leader: No. God would have mercy. He won't.
Roberts

Postby Warrior » Sat May 30, 2015 3:20 am

Synyster wrote:Pretty decent idea, to impose such taxes.. but like Kart pointed out, there are downsides to it.. for example, i could make myself a huge enemy of Nation X, causing them to tax all ships carrying my current nation's flag, then simply join Nation X or some other nation, leaving the rest of the members in that nation affected for a few days at least, assuming the current time frame of 3 days for laws to be passed in parliament..

Maybe such taxes can be scaled to individual hostility levels, such as the ones that u can view in 'Hostility Reports' from the 'Parliament' tab..

So in this example, a guy with 4510 hostility rating with Midway Islands (u know who u are) will be taxed 4510 gc per ship that trades at Midway controlled ports.. or maybe buy goods that cost x+4510 gc.. something like that.. thoughts?

Individual taxes isn't good. That totally demolishes the ones who are half pirate and half trader.
Want to trade ships or voodoo cards or whatever, just contact me in-game.
Warrior

Postby Most Lee Harmless » Sat May 30, 2015 3:54 am

Kart wrote:I am undecided about this idea. I like the concept and it sounds interesting, but it does present some problems.

While this idea would add to the intrigue of national treaties and give another dimension to the hostility ratings, It could create headaches for a nation with no recourse for matters. Currently guilds can kick people out but nations cannot kick out active citizens, not even for criminal behavior. This could lead to people joining a nation just to cause hostility between two nations and cause such taxation's to come into place.

The only apparent option in this case would be to declare such people as an enemies of the state. Then do things to force them to leave the nation or become pirates.

While I am not sure I am in favor of the idea, I find the idea intriguing and would like to see more discussion on it.

A Nations difficulties with removing unwelcome elements will continue to be a problem with or without this suggested going ahead. There is no control over who joins, nor means to remove until they have gone inactive which solves the problem anyway.

I suppose one element of treaties and pacts might be to extend the hostility gain currently received for attacking your own flag to those nations formally bound by pacts of friendship. Thus any problem child seeking to push up hostility will de-flag themselves?
-1 : Move to archive.
Most Lee Harmless

Postby PhoenixKnight » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:57 pm

Can we have forceful collection or commandeering for taxes? Something resembling a collection agency perhaps?
Phoenix Knight
Dragon of the desert and the two seas
PhoenixKnight

Return to Law Suggestions