New Law- Edict of Royal Justice

Do you have an idea for a new law? Post it here. The more support it gets, the quicker it will be implemented. Read the sticky inside for more info.

New Law- Edict of Royal Justice

Postby Rolando » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:36 am

Requires a unanimous vote of the Nation Council. May be employed to expel a nation member who is not on the Council for spying, repeated use of destructive voodoo on Nation leaders and citizens, damaging Nation ports, and aiding enemies in times of war. If a Council member is guilty of such crimes, their influence must be reduced to remove them. Once removed from the Nation Council this law may be used. Pirates would be immune to this law.
Rolando

Rolando

Re: New Law- Edict of Royal Justice

Postby The Pretender » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:16 am

Nation members can choose where to talk to other nation members (pm, chat, guild chat), so spying isn't an issue. They can choose to exclude players that are spying. A unanimous vote of the Nation Council would be pretty easy if you're in certain countries, so a fine or punishment that is restricted by the game is more reasonable (especially with guild politics involved).
The Pretender

Postby Captain Jack » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:20 pm

We are talking about an Expel/deport option here. It has been discussed before.
I am not yet convinced that a simple voting should be enough for this. Perhaps we could accompany this with some requirements/achievements and then I would wholeheartelly approve it.
Captain Jack
Project Coordinator

Postby Rolando » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:55 am

Could you please tell me what you mean by specifics? Historically the nobility would not even have a vote, they would just exile someone who had betrayed the national interests. What about a majority of all nation members? That would require more voting and time. The problem is the reasons for this could range from passing info to other nations or directly aiding a raid with enemies. It could even be aiding in others in harming a port. It is a case by case basis in my view. I just think the option should be available for the worst offenders, and it would make spying harder and more challenging.
Last edited by Rolando on Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rolando

Postby Spastic » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:39 am

That being said this could easily be abused by people who don't want certain individuals in their nation.

I want to point out that UN council-like idea I had. It could be used to judge the merit of claims of treason. Just a thought.
I'm a canny one
Scourge of the Seven Seas
Sink anyone's galleon
To murder my enemies
Whether he's been stabbed in a back street
Or a vast sea attack by the Black Flag fleet
Spastic

Postby Rolando » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:45 am

While protections are fine, a UN Council lets other nations manipulate the justice system. I believe only the nation members involved deserve a say. Why should it be harder to evict someone from a nation than a guild? Just a thought.
Rolando

Postby Sir Henry Morgan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:35 am

In the days of old, citizenship could be revoked simply by a decree from the king. However, so was beheading, exile, etc. (But that is an issue for another topic).

The reason kings were wary of denying the rights of citizenship was of the power held by the person to be expelled. It was a loss of control of the individual's power in the nation. Gotta keep those peasants happy!

With that in mind, If a full 100% vote of the Governing council revokes citizenship, the subject's influence would need to remain in tact. After all, it was through his individual efforts that his influence is there. Voodoo provides the means to reduce and build influence, so a nation's leaders do have a means to address the issue of influence.

Where will they go? It may prove interesting if another country would offer asylum, thus they would not be titled a pirate. With asylum, they would not only gain citizenship, but be offered to retain their current title in their new country. Of course, this is most likely be a hostile nation for whom they were working for initially.

What if the person in question is on the council? Does his vote count? What if for whatever reason the council wants to oust the king or queen?

I see a need to make this type of law a double edged sword, that would not simply devistate the person in question, but place a risk to be considered by those voting to revoke citizenship

It would require two laws ... One to revoke a person's citizenship, requiring a unanimous vote of all council members who vote, and a law offering asylum, offering the terms of asylum, (which may include their title and a little gold to enhance the offer) as well as a unanimous vote by all council members who vote.

Now if the person being expelled chooses a country without a king or council, then I would assume they would simply gain citizenship (ranked a citizen) to that country.

Just food for thought.
Sir Henry Morgan

Postby Rolando » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:30 am

Perhaps the use of this law could also trigger a set amount of Hostility from the country as well. All those who booted the member based on their influence would temporarily suffer. This would give the virtually peasantry the ability to keep this power in check and used rarely.
Rolando

Postby John ward » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:39 pm

If there is a way to vote on a persons past to give them a chance in a country or a guild to join a navy or in some instance having to be in servitude as a Pirateer till all due process be served or time well spent or the gallows.
John ward

Return to Law Suggestions