New card: See the last 25 voodoo cast on target

In these forums you can:
a)Ask any questions about a specific voodoo curse. Something that is unclear maybe ?
b)Provide artwork for voodoo cards
c)Suggest a new voodoo card

New card: See the last 25 voodoo cast on target

Postby Haron » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:54 pm

Suggested name: Inquisition
Uncommon
Cost 4 turns

Description:
Reveals the last 25 voodoo curses cast on target. Except for cards cast undercover, also shows who cast the voodoo.
The T'zak Ryn offers Naval Combat Solutions for the Quality Conscious Customer
Haron
Forum Rambler

Re: New card: See the last 25 voodoo cast on target

Postby Shadowood » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:05 pm

This would hurt Mercs business to much. -1
I don't fear death. I look forward to it with great anticipation. For then I will met God face to face and let him know that I stole his Man of War!!!
Shadowood
Fantasy Draft Deity

Postby Haron » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:15 pm

I want more PvP in the game. Fighting, and specifically plundering and stealing ships, are among such actions. However, since it is, in my opinion, too easy for guild members to assist a target, there is less plunder than it could be, and it is too hard to make a profit. And it is not even possible to see who assisted the target.

If it was possible to determine who cleared FFJs and HNs, or who cast generosity, a pirate could retaliate against those players specifically. This might work as a deterrent, as people now would fear such retaliation. And if they do assist, the pirate can now claim a "Casus Belli" against those who interfered in the raid.

I therefore suggested this card, which would make that possible.
Haron
Forum Rambler

Postby Leo the Conqueror » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:38 pm

I like your thinking, but I fear that would make a pirate raid unstoppable, and cripple you no matter what if you were to get lit up badly. Blind voodoo is an entire strategy in the game, and this card would remove it completely. Keep in mind that in many guilds, the people who clear voodoo are not hostile, and are often defenseless to a raid. That is the point of guilds. If you were to make it possible to see who cleared each voodoo, pirates would become overpowered and eventually rule the game. I do admit that Pirates have been made weak, and that improvements to the game play for pirates should be made, but I do not think this is the way to do it.
A prison warden must be the very best at kung fu.
Leo the Conqueror

Postby Admiral Nelson » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:31 pm

Haron wrote:Suggested name: Inquisition
Uncommon
Cost 4 turns

Description:
Reveals the last 25 voodoo curses cast on target. Except for cards cast undercover, also shows who cast the voodoo.

Grimrock?
Admiral Nelson

Postby not a pirate » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:59 pm

In regards to the original suggestion, +1. Would make people think twice about clearing voodoo that may result in even heavier losses for the guild should the raid be interrupted with clearing/defensive voodoo.

Lord Mustache wrote:Keep in mind that in many guilds, the people who clear voodoo are not hostile, and are often defenseless to a raid.

Maybe they shouldn't use their defensive voodoo to save someone else then. And I think we are in a different game server, perhaps? The people clearing voodoo are often times the stronger members of the guild, those who are certainly less "defenseless" to a raid than the victim.

Weak playstyles don't need handholding to ensure they aren't hit hard as a punishment for their playstyle. I fail to see how this would make pirate raids "unstoppable"-- in all likelihood, the knowledge of who helped them would result in a later attack, not an immediate response. Nothing stops people from casting MBs, CCs, Confuses, etc. even if the raider knows who is helping the victim.

If you play as a defensive merchant who minimizes losses very well and guards your fleets, you won't be hit as hard OR you will make the pirate raiding you have to use more valuable resource, whether it be more voodoo, capitals ships, etc., which in turns creates a potential for a retaliation. The knowledge of who cast what voodoo on someone else doesn't change the raid at hand, if anything it makes it harder as you either choose to focus on the primary target and expend more resources, or focus on the secondary target first and waste resources that could be going to the primary target.
not a pirate

Postby Leo the Conqueror » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:12 pm

Nope, we are in the same game server.

Not to say that the players that have cleared my voodoo off of me aren't powerful. What I mean is in Trading guilds usually everyone is a trader, and that means that often the people with the most voodoo to spare are also full time traders.

You should not be punished because of the style of playing you choose. I wouldn't call traders "weak", nor would I call pirates "strong". There are weak pirates and strong traders, strong pirates and weak traders, and everything in between.

I am concerned that one light up could result in a full-fledged guild war, and leave a lot of people in a guild with no defensive voodoo left. Just think about it. Pirate attacks merchant A. Merchant B cleans voodoo off of Merchant A. Pirate attacks merchant B. Merchant C cleans voodoo off of Merchant B. Pirate attacks Merchant C... and so on and so on.
Leo the Conqueror

Postby Haron » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:14 pm

What's to stop me from attacking all traders in a guild today, Mustache?
Haron
Forum Rambler

Postby Leo the Conqueror » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:17 pm

Nothing. What I am saying is it would promote pirates to do that more often.

If you want to go attack everyone in a guild, there is nothing stopping you, but why would you want to? They have done nothing to you as far as you know, and it would just end up as a waste of voodoo.

If there was an incentive, like to get revenge for clearing voodoo off of your target, then you would be more likely to want to do something like that.
Leo the Conqueror

Postby not a pirate » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:35 pm

You don't think you should be punished for the style YOU choose?

So I should be able to run 10 fleets of 5 level 10 SOTLs each with only 1 gold in my treasury and not be punished?

I understand you're new and haven't seen conflict on a large scale. But your concern this would allow guild wars to commence is irrational, mainly as they have already happened many times without this card in play. I see no downside to pirates having more tools at their disposal to keep merchants having to think about their moves instead of logging on once a day, checking things, and leaving it alone until tomorrow.
not a pirate

Next

Return to Voodoo Curses Cards