Plantations Guide

Find here guides written by players for players.

Plantations Guide

Postby Black sparrow » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:00 am

This guide should help you get started with Plantations. All you need to know to get your plantations up and running.

The example plantation we will be building, will be sized at 1 000 acres.

1)Choose your port / Prepare

Here are the factors for choosing a port:
1)Port stability
Specifically look to which nation owns the port and whether the port Governor changes frequently. You need to contact the governor before hand, asking for operating permission prices, renewals and whether or not these will change in the future. If you want to build a big plantation, you are interested for nations that do not take in consideration your plantation size when pricing the permission. If you want to build a small one, you might want to go with a nation that does this. Since this can be obscure even for Governors at times, you can always ask in the Tavern or the King of the nation holding the port you want.

2)Proximity to food ports
This can be important. Food plantations tend to perform better just because you do not have to ship food to them, which is the resource that they need most to operate. If you plan to have a small plantation though, this should not matter much as you can cover this with fishing fleets.

3)Port Warehouse stocks
Check if the port warehouse is full. The emptier it is, the better price the port will pay for your resources.

4)Available Acres / Current average price per acre
These metrics will help you get an idea of the current competition at a port. If the acres rent is lower than 100gc, then the competition is not that high and should be still an option. Ports will less than 50gc per acre should be considered without blinking.

5)Your nationality
Do not necessarily start it to your own nation. There are no perks other than paying the rents to your nation. For mega plantations, this makes sense, for smaller ones though, it is ineligible. In most cases, you will make more at a foreign port as you will get the duke bonus when selling back to a port of your nation.

Credits
--------

You will need credits to start a plantation. If you cannot afford them, buy from the credits exchange. You will need 100 credits for the constructions permission and a few more for Fertile Lands. Start with at least 5 Fertile Lands. This will ensure you will not run out of acres. Fertile Lands currently cost 5 credits each, so you will need 125 credits to start.

Gold Bars
-----------

You will need Gold Bars. If you have a goldsmith, move yours to this port. Or else buy straight from the port. More details on this later.

2)Important Info - Your first steps

Keep around 1.4M workers for every 1,000 acres of space.
1M workers need around 3,500 crates of food per day @ 4 meals.

So for 1.4M workers, you will need around 5,000 crates of food per day.
A fleet setup with:
1 Flag Galleon, 3x LMM + 1 Cutter has a minimum cargo space of 490 crates. So it can bring all the food your plantation needs (up to 5880 crates per day). This fleet should be good for long distances. If the food port is even closer, consider using Trade Galleons instead.

Alternatively, you can use fishing fleets. Check this table for Fishing Production. Maximum performance is 4,080 crates per day. So a mix of 2 fleets will do.

You will also need tools. The amount is low though. Just put 2 fleets to fill cotton/iron/wood/tools up to several thousands crates and then pause them. If you have a stock of Iron Golems, these will do as well. Generally, you can put fleets passing by from the port to make an extra stop and bring such resources at no extra cost. Especially if you have some fleets doing long distances and the plantation port is between, this can improve your efficiency.

Finally, you need to start bringing immigrants in. The faster you bring them in the better. Once you meet the amount you want, you pause them. You will need a few fleets bringing immigrants constantly in the first 6 months or so. So the best course of action is to keep a few fleets running after you bring the target population (in our case, 1.4M). This will get your target population above 1.4M in the short term but it will be useful later (more details below).

3)Your first decisions

Infrastructure
-----------------

The first decision you need to make is relative to your wealth. If you want to big a big plantation and have gold coins to spend, then buy all the port's gold bars and make the port to pay the highest price for gold bars. This will ensure that the gold bars flow will be enough to cover your needs as the other players will respond to this (pretty fast too). If you do not intend to build a big plantation, then try to get them when the price is low.

Now, if you are wealthy, the first thing you build is Utility Buildings. You need at least 5% of your total workers (not acres - so change acres till you get this amount - 1 utility acre = 2000 builders) there. At 15% is a good solution early on. You get double output than 5%. Output efficiency is severely reduced after this point but you might want to go for the overkill if you have money to spare. You must keep spending there till you get at least 4 stars! Remember, always keep 5% or more of your workers there or else you will never get 5 stars.

If you are not much wealthy, you should not spend anything at Utility. You will build slower but this should not be a problem as building faster will deplete your gold faster too and you will eventually get less for what you invest. Remember, investment on utility does not improve your plantation in any way. So plantations that have 5 stars in utility, can only build other infrastructure fast but get no other bonus right now.

So at this case, put them to construct housing. Set your housing acres to 10% and build till you get one star. Then build till you get 1 star at baths. Proceed as the advisor tells you. Build housing for stamina and baths for health. Once you got 5 stars at them, you start building the rest. In case you started with utility first, you must still follow the same pattern.

Do not employ/build guards/guard houses yet. I have found that they do not affect anything yet. CJ refuses to give insight and most probably they are reserved for later implementations. Likewise, if you are not investing, do not employ any builders at all.

I have not explored much recreation bonuses. However, they should affect morale dramatically. This is the key reason why new plantations produce more crates per acre. It might worth to give this a higher priority than baths/housing, at least 1 star perhaps. Keep them around 6% of total acres.

If you run out of gold bars, your plantation should still make profit. However, given the competition I advise against this as you will end up earning less. Get loans and buy more gold bars.

Workers
----------

Put them at 6 hours early on. You mostly need them to build after all.

4)Long Term Decisions

Plantations take time. You will need to wait at least 1 month before you will have 5 stars at utility. A bit earlier if you employ a lot more workers. So, if you want results now, make them all builders! It will cost you a lot but if profit is not your objective, go for it.

Keep an eye to your workers health. All workers start with good health and stamina. Soon, their health deteriorates. You cannot stop this. Even at advanced plantations, your workers health will drop. You can still bring new ones and improve it. I suspect that there will be a way later to even get it near 100%. I am not sure though.

What most do not know is the stamina of your workers which is a hidden statistic. Putting your workers to high workload, depletes their stamina quick and they end up losing health faster. This is why you must not increase the workload before getting enough housing first. Your advisor will track the problem. I currently run them at 10 hours with 2 stars housing at my big plantation with no real issue. But you need to keep an eye.

The more the workload, the higher meals they need. CJ claims you can make them obese and your advisor will warn you at this case. I have not managed it but it sounds fun. I keep them at 4.5 meals at 10 hours currently.

As your housing increases, you can reduce the number of population per acre. So instead of the initially proposed 1.4-1.5 per acre, you can go down to 1.2-1.3. Especially, after a point where utility buildings will not be needed as much, you can save more on this. Less workers mean less food and this increases your profits.

5)Combos

Plantations make various combos with existing strategies. Especially with Gold smiths. In my case, I have my goldsmith at a port that needs all three resources to be transported. This is cost inefective. However, with plantations, by building one plantation at each providing port I can bring immigrants on the travel back which creates no additional need for fleets, besides food and some resources. You can easily get plantations of 1000-2000 acres in this way.

The obstacle I have run across for this type of plantations has to do with the operating permissions cost which can be high. I hope things will get better here in the future.

Another perk that exists for really big plantations, is the income you get every 10 minutes. Right now, the average production is like 80 units per acre. So a 20k acre plantation should produce around 11k crates per 10 minutes. This is an income of 77k per 10 minutes or 460k per hour. This can prove as a good defense in case of attack - like one casting a generosity on you every hour, in fact, better than this ;)

Epilogue
----------

I could have written this a long time ago as this is accumulated knowledge from pretty early on. It's not meant as a guide to make the best plantation but mostly to help you get started or help you improve some points you might have not been aware of.
Last edited by Black sparrow on Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black sparrow

Re: Plantations Guide

Postby Grimrock Litless » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:54 am

Nice work, sir.
"Got ya."
Grimrock Litless

Postby Kangaroo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:35 pm

Very well done BS
Some people are like Slinkies, totally useless but great fun to watch when you push them down the stairs
Kangaroo

Postby DezNutz » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:23 pm

You do realize that BS has an alternate meaning?
I'm only here for Game Development and Forum Moderation.

If you see a forum rule violation, report the post.
DezNutz
Players Dev Team Coordinator

Postby Roffo snake » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:08 am

Can I get some advice as to the acres per Infrastructure, like the baths and kitchen.
Roffo snake

Postby Scraps » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:57 am

Ty for the intel BS. Well done! :respect :respect
Scraps

Postby José Gasparila » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:20 pm

Summary - not verified but looks reasonable - your mileage will vary
Some information is old - changes may have been applied
Plantations need to be well developed to make a profit and need constant tweaking

Original design
Plantations Expansion
http://www.piratesglory.com/forums/view ... aster+Bids

Plant yourself
http://www.piratesglory.com/forums/view ... t=Uilities

plantation improvement
http://www.piratesglory.com/forums/view ... =Utilities

Acres are rented for 21 days or use Fertile Lands - don't forget to renew

Start by upgrading the Utilities first - at least 2 stars and keep it there - above 4 reduced returns.
Housing and Recreation next.
Kitchen and Baths last
Guards don't do anything - unless some has seen a fire

Field Acres: default
Housing Acres: 10%
Utilities Acres: 10% - when you stabilize and arent making any changes you only need 5% Utilities
Kitchens Acres: 5%
Baths Acres: 5%
Recreation Acres: 5-7% - keep them happy
Guards Acres: 0

Workload 7 hour(s) / day
Diet 3.5 meal(s) / day

Gold bars to keep upgrading gc to speed up - only fasten utilities when starting up if you want to spend the gold
Your plantation population will affect your buildings level - stars will reduce as you add workers

Max Capacity. Put 1 acre to each facility to test.
Workers Acres Total
Fields 1352 350 473200
Housing 120 25 3000
Utility 2000 50 100000
Kitchens 900 25 22500
Baths 300 25 7500
Recreation 600 25 15000
Guards 4200 0 0
500 621200

>>Corrected Rental Period Acres are rented for 21 days

Other reading
Plantations profitability
http://www.piratesglory.com/forums/view ... hilit=1352

Test And Discover : Plantation
http://www.piratesglory.com/forums/view ... ies#p76983

Plantations - Quartermaster Bids
http://www.piratesglory.com/forums/view ... =12&t=4522

Plantations Data
http://www.piratesglory.com/forums/view ... fit#p87657

Plantations acres
http://www.piratesglory.com/forums/view ... fit#p87545

Expertise - Captain Jack
There are 6 levels of expertise in terms of "broad categorization". In reality, it is a very in-depth index that is counted on experience points.

I have made a very in-depth investigation of the issue and I found the following:
-All plantation workers are currently around Novice expertise.
-Some are more experienced than others but the differences are not big.
-The key issue to this was the learning process was too steep for them: It would take TOO long of a time for any worker to become a Guru, which is the highest possible expertise.

As a result, I issued an update to the code. Learning process is now a lot faster. Around 25 times faster. So, if someone was to reach his full experise at 25 days, now he will reach it in 1. This means, you will start seeing results but do not hold your breath as the process is still needs time.
Last edited by José Gasparila on Wed May 13, 2020 12:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
José Gasparila

Postby Whitcomb The Feared » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:40 pm

honestly i increase population and increased from half star to one star in utilities, even if i increase my population. So i don't understand this idea that adding populaiton decreases stars in buildings.
Whitcomb The Feared

Postby José Gasparila » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:26 pm

Test And Discover : Plantation

Functions that lead me to believe buildings and stars could decay.
Guards, Happiness, utility and population
three things that could be considered in the degradation of buildings

Update - further reading says that stars/improvements don't decay - stars are related to population and resources - if your population increases then your stars will start to disappear, if you don't have the maintenance resources or workers assigned then there will be no stars
Last edited by José Gasparila on Wed May 13, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
José Gasparila

Postby Scraps » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:52 pm

good intel José :respect
Scraps

Next

Return to Player Guides