Manual: Running a Bank

Find here guides written by players for players.

Re: Manual: Running a Bank

Postby Charles Vane » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:43 pm

Sure does make starting a new nation harder as most people tend to flock to the easy path with all the bonuses. Even the lone wolf CDV has joined TK for this purpose.

Makes planning and pulling the right players to your cause all the more important.
Charles Vane

Postby sXs » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:51 pm

Charles Vane wrote:Sure does make starting a new nation harder as most people tend to flock to the easy path with all the bonuses. Even the lone wolf CDV has joined TK for this purpose.

Makes planning and pulling the right players to your cause all the more important.

Largest bank in UK right now is a level 7 I believe. Put aside the trust factor because most of the mega bankers are completely trustworthy, but we are talking about potentially 100s of transactions. Even at the smallest transaction fees this could add up to a lot of coin. I am not against bankers making as much as they can for their services, but hate to see that go outside one of my own citizens bank.
sXs

Postby sXs » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:54 pm

13 banks above level 15.

So maybe 8 of them maxed? 6 of which in Tok?
sXs

Postby Sir Henry Morgan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:07 pm

On September 14th, 2014, Captain Dungeness and I founded the goverment of Tokelau on the idea of becoming a banking nation - like Switzerland or the Cayman Islands.

At that time, it was understood that:

1) The devs wanted few players playing as bankers.
2) Banking at level 20 was a gold burner, ie, you would spend 2.1-2.5B to build it. You would make a safe income from it, but you would never get your investment back. (I can vouch for that).

Credit exchange in banks helped, but when that moved out to the larger market, that was gone. No worries, as it was better for the game.

Tokelau continued to pursue banking as a national purpose rather than port control and recruiting new members. The people who joined Tokelau understood and like the idea of a banking nation - it was an investment in the future of PG, not a get rich quick gambit.

Tokelau eventually developed a bank building program using the Tokelau treasury ro help Dukes build banks while I and the governors also worked to maintain influence in ports as well as populations. We helped them build their banks with low interest loans. Several left the game - others switched nations. So be it - it would help the game, regardless of the flag they flew. It's a game, and it was a long term vision.

Now comes an upgrade for those who have invested in banks, to aid in making plantation transactions possible. The 3.75 years that Tokelau has pursued the mission of a banking nation has got a boost. Even with the new techs, it simply increases the size of possible transactions - transactions that will provide income, but will never cover the cost of a bank or her upgrades.

Plantations will operate in a similar manner, with more benefits to a nation treasury than banking will. You can dump resource into banks to work as a national bank, or you can get out and get plantations rolling.

Tokelau welcomes Captain Da Vinci - we now have 4 banks that can handle large transactions until you get your banks where you want them.

Tokelau will continue to maintain banking as her mission as long as I am King. There's too many features and avenues of play to master them all, invest in them all and succeed. More are coming. We will see where we are in the next three and a half years.
Sir Henry Morgan

Postby sXs » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:23 pm

It was never a dig on Tok. The bankers in your Nation have treated me well. They are some of the most trusted players in all of Avonmora.

Vanes point is valid

Phoenixknight point is valid.

My point is valid.

As far as wealth building, that still remains only for the big traders, which even CJ admits are very few now.

For me it is not about using anything to become a fat cat. I just want to support the citizens of my nation in more ways than simple stipend or occasional payout.
sXs

Postby Charles Vane » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:04 pm

Charles Vane wrote:Sure does make starting a new nation harder as most people tend to flock to the easy path with all the bonuses. Even the lone wolf CDV has joined TK for this purpose.

To clarify,

I am all for these improvements. It needs to be hard or near impossible for one player to cover all avenues. Specialization promotes building relationships and prevents sole self reliance.
Charles Vane

Previous

Return to Player Guides